Blog #4

It is also important for students to be aware of their personal privacy. On the learning platform, you can say what information is necessary; for example, you need to indicate the school and specialization. However, more attention should be paid to the safety of the Internet. If you need to use your school e-mail address or school login information to log in, make sure that the equipment and network you are using are secure enough. For Uvic, having DUO for secondary login verification is a great way to keep students safe online. For other times, you may consider using a school computer to log in, as school computers are generally more secure and use the school’s secure network.

In the event that a teacher needs more personal information from a student, all we need to do is consider or make a personal judgment as to whether or not we really need to provide that information. For example, if a teacher needs a student’s student ID number from his or her home school when taking classes at an outside school, we need to make a judgment call. I think that most people and most teachers are good people and are ethical enough not to sell or maliciously use the information they obtain about students, but not without precaution. For example, in the earlier example, I would judge the situation to see if my student number was really needed. Since I can get a lot of information from my school, as a teacher from a foreign school, I would determine if my student number is really needed. If it is necessary, I would first change my login password and information for my home school’s platform to guard against the possibility that if someone could crack my password and use my student number to log in.

Trying to make every student feel included requires the use of multiple forms of interaction. For example, if some shy students don’t like to talk to people in class, they can interact through online message discussions. This will make them feel more included and cared about. For example, if some people feel they learn better by listening to the content, then a PowerPoint presentation can be added to the audio.

Basic human ethics need to be maintained on the internet as well, such as not using overly aggressive text. Instructors need to make their students feel that they mean well, not ill will. When interacting with students, they need to remain positive and not discourage them. When designing lessons, they also need to try to take into account the differences in each student and design as much as possible that can be made into something that can include everyone. Professors cannot be irresponsible just because it is an online course.

1. tianshan

Hi Yoki

I totally agree with your post that ensuring personal privacy and online safety is crucial for students. On learning platforms, only essential information, such as school and specialization, should be shared. Devices and networks used for school logins should be secure; at UVic, DUO’s secondary login verification helps protect students. If additional personal information is requested, students should carefully evaluate its necessity and consider changing passwords afterward for security.

Creating an inclusive online learning environment requires various interaction methods. Shy students might prefer online message discussions, while others might benefit from audio-enhanced PowerPoint presentations. Basic online ethics, like avoiding aggressive language and fostering a supportive atmosphere, are essential. Instructors should design lessons to accommodate diverse student needs, ensuring that everyone feels included and valued. Professors must remain responsible and proactive, even in an online setting, to engage and support all students effectively.